Once known as “the Paris of the North” the easily accessible Tromsø is the perfect base for an arctic adventure. Tromsø is located 350 kilometers north of the Arctic Circle, and is the largest city in Northern Norway. This modern city in the Arctic is where nature and culture go hand-in-hand. Here you will find attractions from an aquarium and several museums to the world’s northernmost botanical garden. It’s also a perfect place to observe the majestic phenomenon of the northern lights.
Options to stay a night in the wilderness add to the flexibility of this package and the Northern lights can regularly be seen on the included activities when booking between mid November and late March. Small groups and a great mix of Arctic activities and the bustle of the picturesque small city of Tromsø makes this a popular package.
What this package includes:
- Flights from Heathrow or Gatwick via Oslo
- 3 nights in Tromsø Rica or Clarion (lobby pictured)
- 4 hour husky safari
- 4 hour snowmobile safari
- 4 hour Sámi and reindeer activity
- Arctic clothing rental for activities
- Flights from UK – Tromso
- You will stay overnight at Tromsø Rica or Clarion hotels. These popular hotel are well located close to Tromsø’s tourist attractions. Most rooms offer spectacular views of the Straits of Tromsø and the Arctic Cathedral or the charming city landscape. The location is ideal for experiencing Tromsø’s legendary nightlife.
Day 2 – Snowmobile safari
- You will be collected outside Hotel Rica at 9am and transfer to Camp Tamok (70 min).
- Your guides will provide a thorough introduction before we set off on the safari. Owing to the topography, we keep speed to a minimum in places, but above the tree line there is a chance to speed up a little.
- The safari goes to Lake Tamok, a distance of 30 km each way. We will drive in pairs with two guests on each snowmobile. We stop mid way so you have the opportunity to change drivers.
- A hot lunch will be served at Camp Tamok.
- Evening: Reindeer sledding and the Sami culture
- Your evening tour focuses on the oldest form of transport in the north, reindeer sledding, which is an integral part of Sami culture. You will be driving in pairs, with one sled per reindeer. The trip across Tamokdalen valley is about 2 km long. When you have finished the reindeer sled ride, you will have the chance to try your hand at lasso casting. Seated together inside a lavvu (traditional Sami herdsmen’s tent), you will hear folk tales and learn about Sami culture and history.
- A hot meal will be served before transferring back to your hotel in the late evening or, if you want, you want choose to stay the night at Camp Tamok to maximize your chances of seeing the northern lights.
Day 3 – Husky safari
- If you stayed the night at the hotel then in the morning you will be transferred back to the camp. Otherwise you can have a lie in first!
- We begin by learning how to train and groom dogs. Be warned, the dogs are so eager to go dog sledding that they can’t stop barking! We also provide in-depth instruction about how to drive a dog team.
- Then we go for an extended dog sledding trip into the white landscapes, through the beautiful Vassdalen valley, a distance of 8 km each way. We will drive in pairs with two guests per sled. We stop mid way so you have the opportunity to change drivers.
- A hot meal based on traditional food will be served before we transfer back to your hotel
Day 4 – A day open in Tromsø
- Depending on flight times this day is open for individual exploration, and no services have been included.
- Tromsø, known as the Gateway to the Arctic, is a fascinating city, where good shopping, lively cafés and some lovely galleries, museums and experience centres await you.
- Exciting sightseeing options in Tromsø include a visit to Polaria, an Arctic experience centre featuring species including bearded seals; the Polar Museum, which retraces polar explorations and daring hunting and trapping voyages; or visiting the spectacular Arctic Cathedral, which has become a city landmark.
- Flights back to UK
- Hot tub at wilderness camp £50pp
- Swap one or more nights from the Tromsø hotel to a wilderness camp from £100ppto maximize your chances of seeing the northern lights.
- Swap one or more nights from the Radisson Tromsø to a wilderness camp at no extra charge and maximize your chances of seeing the northern lights.
Enquire Online Now
To find out more about this package, please enter your details below. Once we've reviewed your enquiry we'll be in contact to discuss how we can help. You can also call all our Arctic holiday specialists today on +44(0)1793 939035.