If you're looking for a Svalbard holiday, then this is a trip with a difference. Ever dreamt of camping in the wilderness in Svalbard, crossing Glaciers on foot or Kayaking next to Icebergs? Well we certainly have. Your 7-day journey will take you from Longyearbyen the many Fjords in the area. You will set camp each night surrounded by this unique wilderness. Days will be spent crossing Glaciers, hiking to incredible view points and Kayaking through Fjords littered with Ice Bergs - who knows, you may even see a Polar Bear during your trip to Svalbard!
- Return flights from London or Manchester to Longyearbyen via Oslo
- All Transfers
- 3 Nights Accommodation in Longyearbyen at either end of the trip (Bed & Breakfast)
- 3 Nights Accommodation in Shared Tent (Full Board)
- Wilderness Hike
- Glacier Crossing
- Fjord Kayaking alongside mighty Glaciers and Ice Bergs
- Opportunity to spot a variety of wildlife
- Camping Equipment, Tent, Sleeping Mat (Sleeping bags hired at additional cost)
- Fully Qualified guide throughout the trip
- All camp safety equipment provided
- ATOL & ABTA Protection
Tour available July – September only
Day 1 (Monday)
- Fly to Longyearbyen via Oslo and check into hotel
Day 2 (Tuesday):
- After breakfast, you will be picked up by the guide at your accommodation. After a short briefing, you will pack the personal safety equipment to bring along on the trip. Our guide takes you to the harbour where the boat awaits, and we will head for Ymerbukta, where we will be set ashore at your camp by zodiacs.
- You will then settle in the camp and get ready for a kayaking trip. Dressed in dry suits and life vests, you will take place in our steady double kayaks and prepare for a trip along the shoreline to the Esmark Glacier front. Before starting, our guide will teach you a variety of kayaking techniques and provide supervision. The kayak is the perfect vessel when our goal is to get close to nature and experience the silence while looking for seals and sea birds.
- Our guide will find a suitable spot to go ashore to have our lunch while enjoying the view of the glacier front. Back in camp after an active day we will prepare our dinner, and if weather permits, the day will be rounded off the day around the bonfire.
- There may be occasions where you will stay awake during the night to protect the group from Polar bear attacks.
Day 3 (Wednesday):
- After breakfast, you will pack the glacier equipment and head for the Esmark Glacier with its impressive front. Wearing crampons and harness, you will hike onto the glacier. With supervision from the guide, you will hike on clear blue ice, over deep crevasses and snow bridges, while linked together by rope.
- Lunch will be provided on the glacier with a beautiful view over the mighty glacier formations and the inlet ahead. Back at the camp, our guides will prepare dinner while we let the impressions sink in. This is a relatively long day during which you will spend approximately 8 hours on the glacier. It is a 40-minute hike from the camp to the glacier on easy terrain.
Day 4 (Thursday):
- After two nights spent out in the arctic scenery, you should start to feel like the surroundings. After the same morning ritual as the day before, you will now make an even closer acquaintance with the scenery and landscape around us. Hiking from the camp towards a high peak, the natural goal of the day.
- The hiking alternatives are many on this side of Ymerbukta, but the long and appealing Värmlandsryggen is the most tempting. Only a few meters of elevation are necessary to get a magnificent view over fjord, mountains, plains and glaciers.
Day 5 (Friday):
- You will awake to the sounds of the Arctic wilderness and clear the camp and take on a hike in the surrounding areas before the boat picks you up to take you back to Longyearbyen via the Russian settlement Barentsburg. You will enjoy a warm lunch on board, and get a guided tour of Barentsburg before returning to Longyearbyen.
Day 6 (Saturday)
- Day at leisure in Longyearbyen, the town has a variety of cafes, restaurants, shops, museums and much more. We will be happy to advise you how best to fill your day.
Day 7 (Sunday)
- Transfer to Longyearbyen airport for flight home to the UK via Oslo.
General information: Be aware that the length per day, trips and activities may change due to weather conditions and the composition of the group.
Demands of participants: No glacier or kayak experience is necessary as your guide will teach and supervise you. The trip is rated as challenging/moderate on our tour rating system (click here). The hikes take place on a rugged floor with a lot of sand and rock, and it is necessary to have good, sturdy hiking boots. It is expected that the participants take part in the daily chores in camp, such as cooking and doing dishes.
Enquire Online Now
To find out more about this package, please enter your details below. Once we've reviewed your enquiry we'll be in contact to discuss how we can help. You can also call all our Arctic holiday specialists today on +44(0)1793 939035.