Spend a weekend with Icelandic horses. It is exiting to ride in the snow, both in the forest on smaller tracks and on ice on the river.
The Icelandic horse is quite small, about 130-145 cm high with four or five gaits walk, trot, canter, tölt and pace. The riding company we use has about 20 horses for all abilities and tours can be tailored between lessons and learning more about the Icelandic horse, local tours and other activities such as dog sledging and snowmobiling. Due to its positioning the stables gets good views of the northern lights and also has regular visits of moose and reindeer into the stables. In the summer there is the midnight sun and tours can go out into the wilderness when staying multiple nights.
Spend a weekend with Icelandic horses. It is exiting to ride in the snow, both in the forest on smaller tracks and on ice on the river. And think of seeing moose, reindeer and other animals in their natural surroundings. Arriving in the afternoon the first day you start with a practical introduction in Icelandic horse riding and spend the evening in the goahti (Sami hut) round the fire while the guide tells you about the Sami culture. Hopefully you see the beautiful northern lights. The next day you go for longer riding tour with outdoor lunch. The third day you go for another riding tour and on the final day you end the trip by visiting the famous Icehotel in the afternoon. You stay overnight in a house with three rooms, a shared kitchen and bathroom on a small horse farm and eat of the local specialties like game and fish (vegetarian possible on request).
What this package includes:
- 3 Nights accommodation in stable cottage
- Riding lessons and tours – mix of your request
- Perfect for Northern lights and wildlife
- Full board
- Flights from Heathrow via Stockholm
- Transfer to the stables where you will be provided with arctic clothing and have a change to meet the horses and take an introductory ride – either a short lesson or a ride in the forest. Evening meal in the Sámi goahti with one eye outside looking for the northern lights
- Night in the stable house.
- Longer riding tour with outdoor lunch, there is plenty of wildlife in the area and you may see Moose, reindeer, ptarmigan, wolverine, arctic hare or many other local species.
- Evening meal at the stables with a chat over the day’s ride. If the northern lights come out in the evening they can be seen from the stable grounds
- Morning riding tour lunch at the stables. In the afternoon you can book an option dog sledge safari or snowmobile trip.
- Evening meal at the stables with a chat over the day’s activities. If the northern lights come out in the evening they can be seen from the stable grounds
- Visit to Icehotel
- Return flights to UK
- Price includes flights from Heathrow, transfers, arctic clothing rental and full board. Longer tours available on request.
- Or ask about our 7 day packages with direct flights which we are now also able to offer to disabled guests with or without assistance.