North Pole Ski
Not everybody’s idea of the perfect holiday is 2 weeks on a sun lounger. If you crave a little adventure and a once in a lifetime experience then how about skiing to the top of the world, to the North Pole?
Not everybody has the physical and mental endurance to be able to be considered for the trip and although technical skill is not a requirement you will have to be able to dedicate time to physical endurance before departure as you could be spending up to 10 days on the ice pulling a 30-40kg sledge. Have you got what it takes?
Polar training program gives a chance to familiarise yourself with equipment and learn and practice extreme cold weather skills in a safe environment over 5 days and culminates with the opportunity to ski into an ice hole (optional) to practice this potentially life saving skill.
For centuries the North Pole remained an unattainable fascination to explorers - a destination of myths and dreams that was not achieved until the early 20th century. On this extraordinary adventure, you will experience, first hand, the mystery, tranquility and beauty embodied by attainment of the Geographical North Pole.
Begin in Longyearbyen, Svalbard, Europe’s northernmost community of consequence. Fly by private STOL jet (AN 74) over the Svalbard Archipelago - the historic gateway of many Polar explorers who attempted to gain the North Pole – Solomon Andrée, Walter Wellman, Roald Amundsen, Lincoln Elsworth, Richard E. Byrd, to mention a few. Your “birds-eye view” will impart pristine snow and ice mantled mountains, magnificent glaciers, and ice bergs in frozen fjord waters. The Arctic Ocean reveals a maze of pressure ridges, mountains of ice, and occasional open leads. You may even glimpse a Polar bear searching for seals hundreds of miles from land.
From our Barneo Ice Camp undertake the final leg to the Pole, about 66 miles, by skis and on foot. On a typical day you’ll encounter freezing temperatures, 5-10 meter high pressure ridges, and open leads of freezing cold water, making the experience anything but, well, typical. At the Pole, celebrate with other intrepid adventurers from around the globe.
Join us for an historical, challenging, and entirely unique trek of a lifetime.
- Flights from UK
- Accommodation in Longyearbyen
- Flight to Barneo
- Barneo accommodation
- Ski to the Pole
- Phone call from the Pole
- Helicopter back form Pole
- Professional guides
- Most specialist equipment (please ask for details)
- North Pole Ski Adventure
- Duration (Barneo-Barneo): 9 days/ 8 nights
- (Longyearbyen-Longyearbyen): 14 days/ 13 nights
- Dates: late March – late April (usually 3 departures)
- Flights from UK, Greeting at Longyearbyen airport and transfer to your hotel
- Participants will collect their expedition clothing and equipment, check-out individual and group gear, and receive general instruction. After lunch, you will begin preparations for your training trip and learn to pack your sledge.
- A welcome dinner will be at 19:00, including a briefing by the expedition staff.
- Your first training trip will begin at 10:00 in the Longyearbyen surrounding area. Overnight at your Longyearbyen hotel.
- This morning we encourage you to train independently or explore the hamlet of Longyearbyen. An information meeting will occur at 16:00, where the expedition staff will brief you on the situation at the Barneo region, the planned departure time, and answer any questions you might have. Afterward, participants will pack their expedition sledges. Overnight at your Longyeabyen hotel.
- After breakfast you'll transfer to the airport for the flight to Barneo Ice Camp.
- The flight aboard AN-74 aircraft from Longyearbyen to Barneo is approximately 2 hrs 30 min. Arrive at Barneo and take some time to acquaint yourself with the Barneo Ice Camp located at 89 degree North. Lunch and all meals at Barneo will be served in the mess tent. After lunch the group will work together to pitch expedition tents at Barneo. Enjoy your last prepared dinner (for the next 15 days meals will be expedition style) before overnighting in the expedition tents. Tents accommodates 2 persons.
- Ski trek to the North Pole, sleeping nightly in the expedition tents on the drifting ice. The start point will be determined on the ice conditions.
- Today you arrive at the top of the world! We will celebrate and you can make a short phone call to your friends or relatives via satellite phone. We will spend a few hours near the Pole before an MI-8 helicopter takes us back to the Barneo Ice Camp.
- Dinner tonight will be at the Barneo mess-tent. Your flight from Barneo to Longyearbyen on the AN-74 aircraft will depart after dinner (weather dependent). Transfer will be provided to your hotel.
- You are free for the day to explore the hamlet of Longyearbyen. Optional snowmobile and/or dog sledding excursions are available upon request (must be booked in advance). The North Pole Certificate ceremony is planned for this evening. Enjoy a final evening with your travel companions before returning to your Longyearbyen hotel.
- Transfer to the airport for your flight home.
- From £29,995 inclusive of all flights and Longyearbyen accommodation.
- Extreme package (18 days on the ice) from £37,995
- Challenge package (6 days on the ice) from £28,495
- Rush package (3 days on the ice) from £26,495
- North Pole by Ski and dog sledge is also possible from £36,995 (3 days on the ice)