If you’ve finally managed to book that North Pole holiday you’ve been dreaming of for ages, an exciting experience of a lifetime awaits.
Now you can turn your focus towards packing for your trip. And, given that you’re going into a unique environment, you are probably wondering what you need to take with you. It goes without saying that you’ll need all your warmest clothes, but what else should be in your luggage?
The good news is that, while you do need to be prepared, unless you are planning on doing something like ice diving and want to take your own gear, you won’t need a lot of expensive specialist clothes or equipment.
But here are some of the essentials to consider taking with you:
• Thermal underwear – The locals all wear these, so pop some longjohns and vests in your suitcase. Remember that if you’re on the trail of the Northern Lights, you’ll need to be outside for extended periods in sub-zero temperatures.
• Heated In-Soles – These will keep your feet toasty warm even on the coldest nights.
• Heated Gloves – Your hands need to be warm, too, and these really will make a difference. The last things you’ll want to have are freezing fingers.
• Travel Adapter – Expect standard European sockets, and take a converter plug to give your mobile or iPod plenty of juice.
• Travel Alarm Clock – Your body clock will respond to the dark mornings by making it very hard to wake up naturally, so take a travel alarm clock to be sure you don’t miss breakfast.
• Buff – You may well be able to buy one locally – these are handy little warm cloth tubes which can be worn as a headpiece and scarf all in one to get that icy wind from your neck.
• Camera – Plan your photography strategy in advance – taking images of the Northern Lights is not as simple as you may have thought. But, whatever you do, don’t forget your camera!
• Face protection – The sun in this region is stronger than you may have thought, and the wind can be very strong. Take a good quality moisturiser and sun block.
This is not a comprehensive list, but should help you to get started on your buying and packing.
Holidays to the North Pole from Arctic Direct
At Arctic Direct, North Pole holidays are our speciality! Experience the unrivalled breath-taking beauty of the Northern Lights from our base in Sweden’s Abisko. Or spend an unforgettable night in the ice hotel Sweden that everyone’s talking about.
Like any operator to this part of the world, we can’t absolutely guarantee that you will definitely get to see the Northern Lights. But we can promise we’ll do everything we can to make your holiday wonderful, with a full range of adventure-filled, adrenaline-fuelled activities to choose from, so you won’t be disappointed whatever happens.
How about whizzing across the ice in a snowmobile, go kart, high performance rally car or dog sledge? Or a spot of ice climbing? With Arctic Direct, the choice is yours!